Monday, October 6, 2008

Tankless Hot Water Heater

When doing our last major renovation several years ago, I wanted to make sure that I was getting hot water at the kitchen sink sooner rather than later. To accomplish this, the whole house was re-plumbed. This did a couple of things, increased our overall water pressure and allowed me to move the hot water heater closer to the kitchen, laundry room and master bath. Over the years the plumbing had been modified as needed to and was so filled with corrosion that it was amazing that there was any water flowing at all.

I setup the house to allow for a tankless hot water heater, however the old hot water was working just fine. I later decided that it would be a better idea to switch over to the tankless, but when I got the estimate to change over I was shocked - $1,800 to install. Now remember, all of the piping and plumbing is there, only need to put in the new tank and hook everything up. Why such a high price, I wanted the tankless system to hang inside my house, not at the back door. 90% of the price was to install a venting system in the event that gas leaked.

For those homeowners that have installed these systems, most of them love it. Hot water on-demand and a reduce heating bill. Make sure you consider going this route if you need to replace your hot water heater, but know that it will need to be hung outside your home.

No comments: